Blue Key Honor Society recognizes deserving students who have a demonstrated record of success and excellence in scholarship, leadership, and service. The Society salutes observable meritorious achievement and continued growth, development, and leadership by example. It recognizes the uppermost percentile of students who have a distinguished and balanced record in all areas.
Individuals selected for Blue Key must meet these criteria as outlined below:
1. Scholarship – Members must have a distinguished achievement in classroom and meritorious activity that recognizes significant contributions to the advancement of knowledge, learning and scholarly performance. The member must have an ambition for intellectual attainment and development. The grade point average must place them in the top 1/3 of peers at the institution. The assumption is that the student must have at least a 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) Grade Point Average.
2. Leadership – Members must have a distinguished record of leadership and achievement in student organizations, student life, professional associations, or institutional organizations that promote community service, life skills, professional development or institutional advancement.
3. Service – Members must have a distinguished pattern of service to others, to campus life, or to the greater community. The individual must have a strong desire to serve others and improve the welfare others in society.
4. Character and Integrity – Members must have a distinguished pattern of honesty and trustworthiness in personal behavior. They shall be reputable among peers as well as with institutional and community leaders. Moral character, spiritual principles, and beliefs that mark the individual as a person of faith and adherence to moral convictions. (This shall be interpreted broadly based on behavior).
5. Blue Key Honor Society was founded to recognize exemplary upperclassmen. The vast majority of student members are junior and seniors, but exceptional sophomores and graduate students may become active members. Blue Key also accepts for membership college faculty members, staff and alumni as Honorary Members. In these cases, the service component and character of the individual are likely to become more prominent during the selection process.